While several countries worldwide are ending their war on cannabis, and using the Netherlands as an example towards normalisation, the country itself started a new battle against the plant and its users.
- How I fell in love with a Dutch coffeeshop
- Police bust office of Dutch Cannabis legalization NGO
- These 41 Amsterdam coffeeshops are threatened with closure
- HOLLAND: Amount of coffeeshops decreasing fast
- Shocking Police Brutality in Dutch ‘War on Weed’
So far this battle resulted in a decrease in coffeeshops; from 1.500 in the 90ies to only 585 today. Meanwhile the use of cannabis didn’t decrease, the number of street dealers increased and the overall quality of cannabis dropped which is a treat to the public health.
During the PCN conference, coffeeshop owners and some high profile experts, such as James Burton and lawyer Sidney Smeets, united to speak out against the government and to discuss alternatives.